Advisory for Lake St. John, Ontario
[Return to Ontario | Return to province list]
Lake St. John
Testing conducted by the MOECC has confirmed the presence of a blue-green algae bloom in Lake St. John, Ramara Township.
The test results show a mix of blue-green algae and ongoing sampling continues
to detect the presence of algal toxins, called microcystins.
Algal toxins can harm humans and animals. The health unit advises residents and businesses not
to drink or use the water from this lake and to take the following precautions:
- do not use the water for drinking, making infant formula, dishwashing, brushing teeth,
- do not prepare food or cook with the lake water because food may absorb toxins from the water
- do not swim in the lake water
- do not allow pets or livestock to drink or swim in the water
- do not use the water to water lawns or gardens
- do not eat fish caught from the lake.
Algal toxins can accumulate in fish, particularly in
organs such as the liver and kidney
- do not use herbicides, copper sulphate or other algicides that may break open algae cells
and release toxins into the water