Advisory for Twin Lakes, Ontario
[Return to Ontario | Return to province list]
Algoma Public Health is advising residents and visitors of a confirmed blue-green algae bloom (cyanobacteria) on Twin Lakes in Hilton Township on St. Joseph_s Island.
As a precautionary measure, Algoma Public Health recommends that residents:
• Not drink, swim in, bathe, or shower with the water, even water that passes through
a treatment system since these systems are not capable of removing the toxins.
• Not use bleach to treat water as this can release toxins from the algae and will not make the water safe for drinking or cooking.
• Not eat fish caught during a blue-green algae bloom.
• Avoid activities involving direct contact with the water such as swimming and water skiing.
• Use alternative water sources such as bottled water or water obtained from a safe water supply.
• Restrict pet and livestock access to the water