Canada's Drinking Water - Part 2
                          Click on the crest of your province       Go to PART 1 November 25, 2017
Newfoundland Labrador Prince Edward Island Nova Scotia New Brunswick Québec Nunavut Ontario Saskatchewan Manitoba North West Terrritories Alberta British-Columbia Yukon
Who to call?

Whether you have questions about who is responsible for your drinking water or how it is treated, or whether you want to report a suspected contamination problem or get more information concerning a boil water alert, here is a list of provincial contacts that we hope will help you find the right person to talk to.

Yukon Drinking Water - Part 1

Although owners/operators are responsible for supplying and delivering safe drinking water, public health officers monitor the quality of the drinking water they provide.

First - Environmental Health Services
#2 Hospital Road - Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 3H8
(867) 667-8391

Water Resources Branch of Environment Yukon - Government of Yukon
867-667-3171 or Toll free (in Yukon): 1-800-661-0408 local 3171
Fax: 867-667-3195
  • Link to Yukon Drinking Water

    Saskatchewan Drinking Water - Part 1

    Municipalities own and are responsible for municipal drinking water facilities and their operation. SaskH2O offers an interactive list of all waterworks onwers/operators. Pick your provider and get all information including water testing, results, phone numbers and operators.

    Saskatchewan Environment regulates municipal waterworks and private systems that have a flow rate of 18,000 litres or more per day. For a list of Environment Field Officers, click here.
    Regional Health Authorities regulate semi-public waterworks that have a flow rate of less than 18,000 litres per day.
  • Cypress
    Public Health Office
    Swift Current (306) 778-5280
    Manager - (306) 778-5427
  • Five Hills -
    306-691-1500 for general inquiry and manager
  • Heartland -
    - Jim Webster at 306-948-3323 ext 269 - Senior Public Health Inspector
    - For General Inquiries contact 306-948-6423 ext 3
  • Keewatin Yatthe -
    Northern Village of Buffalo Narrows in charge of water for the area - Health Authority (306) 235-2220 Northern Village of Buffalo Narrows (the municipality) - 306-235-4225 - Supervisor Dean: 306-235-4616
  • Kelsey Trail - Public Health Office - (306) 752-6310 Water monitor - Dawn Myrheim - (306) 752-6321
  • Mamawetan Churchill River -
    Public Health Office - (306) 425-4800
    Manager - (306) 425-8523
  • Prairie North -
    Public Health Office - 306-446-6400
    Manager, Ken Startup - (306) 446-6418
  • Prince Albert Parkland -
    Public Health Office - (306) 765-6600
    Manager - (306) 765-6605
  • Regina Qu'Appelle -
    PWater Enquiries - (306) 766-7755
    Manager - (306) 766-7756 or 7714
  • Saskatoon - /
    Public Health Office - (306) 655-4605
    Manager, Leslie Rea - (306) 655-4631
    Supervisor, Brent Latimer 306-655-4459
  • Sun Country -
    Public Health Office - (306) 842-8618
    Health Inspector 306-842-8623
  • Sunrise -
    Public Health Office - 306-786-0600
    Manager - (306) 786-0618
  • Northern Health Region - General number: 306-425-8512

  • Click here for a list of communities and which health region they belong to.

    Ontario Drinking Water - Part 1

    Municipalities are responsible for the delivery of clean drinking water. For more information about your municipality's drinking water, click here, then click your region on the map or select it from the drop-down list at top of map.

    The Ontario Ministry of Environment has a program to inspect municipal residential drinking water systems and licensed drinking water testing laboratories.
    Click here for a list of regional environment offices.

    Ontario Regulations 318/08 and 319/09 regulate drinking water systems serving the public at non-residential and seasonal residential facilities, which are overseen by public health units.

    Public Health Units evaluate risks at individual systems and develop a system-specific water protection plan to ensure compliance with provincial drinking water quality standards. For water quality sampling, the onus is on water system operators to follow the sampling schedule set out by the province, which is based on the system's risk assessment.

    Public Health Inspectors also perform routine sampling and are will provide additional testing of a system in the event of a suspected adverse water quality incident.

    Regional Medical Officers are also immediately contacted if there is adverse water quality incident. There are 36 Public Health Units (PHU) in Ontario. Click here for a complete list of PHUs.

    For more information you can call 1-866-793-2588 Drinking Water Help Line or use the links.

    New Brunswick Drinking Water - Part 1

    The Department of Environment and Local Government manages 30 drinking water suppliers. You can call one of their regional offices or the central office for more drinking water information, or send an email to the general inquiry address: elg/

    Central Office: P.O. Box 6000, E3B 5H1 - McGloin St.Fredericton, N.B., E3A 5T8 - Tel: 506-457-4846 - Fax: 506-457-7823

  • Region 1 - Bathurst - Tel: 506-547-2092 - Fax: 506-547-7655,
  • Region 2 - Miramichi - Tel: (506) 778-6032 - Fax: (506) 778-6796,
  • Region 3 - Moncton - Tel: (506) 856-2374 - Fax: (506) 856-2370,
  • Region 4 - Saint John - Tel: (506) 658-2558 - Fax: (506) 658-3046
  • Region 5 - Fredericton - Tel: (506) 444-5149 - Fax: (506) 453-2893
  • Region 6 - Grand Falls - Tel: (506) 473-7744 - Fax: (506) 475-2510
    If you suspect a contamination problem with your water, you can try the Regional Water Planning Officer for your region:
  • Region 1 - Gilles Theriault - 506-547-7463
  • Region 2 - Marc-Andre Plourde - 506-778-6347
  • Region 3 - Sarah Smith - 506-856-2374
  • Region 4 - Mark Bader - 506-643-7462 Region 5 - Patricia Holland - 453-8925
  • Region 6 - Natalie Ryckman - 506-473-7744
  • Emergency Line: 1-800-656-1633

  • British Columbia Drinking Water - Part 1

    According to its website information, the Drinking Water Program is administered locally by Drinking Water Officers, Public Health Engineers and Medical Health Officers, who are responsible for direct service delivery in BC's Health Authorities.

    Drinking Water Officers provide surveillance and monitoring of drinking water systems which may affect the public's health. They also administer and enforce the Drinking Water Protection Act, the Drinking Water Protection Regulation and the Health Act and provide interventions to minimize health and safety hazards.

    Drinking Water Health Authority Contacts

    Fraser Health Authority
    Marc Zubel
    (604) 870-7900 (Abbotsford Office), or toll free: 1-866-749-7900

    Vancouver Island Health Authority
    Lynne Magee
    (250) 755-6215

    Interior Health Authority
    J. Ivor Norlin (250) 833-4173
    Roger Parsonage 250-549-5743

    Northern Health Authority
    Bruce Gaunt (Northern Interior)
    (250) 565-2150

    Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
    Randy Ash
    (604) 983-6751

    Manitoba Drinking Water - Part 1

    The Drinking Water Officers carry out inspections of water systems, and provide technical assistance to water system operators and the public.
  • Winnipeg and Surrounding Areas
    Melanie Betsill
  • Interlake
    Derek Clarke
  • North Eastern
    Dan Drimes
    (204) 346-6113
  • South Eastern
    Marc Balcaen
  • North Central
    John Cronk
  • South Central
    Jared McNabb
    (204) 239-3880
  • North Western
    Don Michalyk
  • South Western
    Glen Robertson
  • North
    Christine Gerardy
  • After Hour Emergency Response Line: 1 204 944 4888
    For a map of the regional boundaries and offices clickhere

    Nova Scotia Drinking Water - Part 1

    Municipal water utilities are responsible for the delivery of water in accordance with provincial standards and for meeting their requirements for due diligence - making sure the water they deliver is properly managed and protected. The owner of a public water system is responsible for meeting all of the public responsibilities that apply to the water supply.

    An owner is a person, municipal council, or board of commissioners who owns a public water system. The owner is ultimately responsible for providing safe drinking water and meeting regulatory requirements.

    Nova Scotia Environment has been designated as the lead agency to take such measures as are reasonable to provide access to safe, adequate and reliable public water supplies (Environment Act, Section 104(c)). Nova Scotia Environment is responsible for: Approvals, Source water protection, operator and lab certification, inspection, consultation, education.

    Click here for a list of Environmental Monitoring & Compliance District Offices.
    Newfoundland and Labrador Drinking Water - Part 1

    Under the partnership arrangement with municipalities, the Department of Environmen is responsible for collecting samples, interpreting data, and providing quarterly water quality reports to participating municipalities and the province covers the costs.

    For all information regarding drinking water contact one of Newfoundland's three Water Resources Management Divisions
    St. John's Headquarters
    709- 729-2563

    Grand Falls-Windsor
    (709) 292-4997

    Corner Brook - Regional Office
    (709) 637- 2431

    Happy Valley Goose-bay Regional Office (709) 896-5542

    Water Resources Management webpage

    Nunavut Drinking Water - Part 1

    NOTE: Nunavut is in the process of developing a new public health legislation, which will probably be ready in about 2 years and will likely impact the information below.

    According to Nunavut Health and Social Services, the Environmental Health Specialist:
    Provides recommendations and direction, consultation, development of standards, monitoring, maintenance and evaluation of all environmental health programs within Nunavut.

    Guides the regional environmental health officers in development and implementation of programs and policies in prevention of disease, which are caused by the environmental factors including food, water, waste disposal.

    Guides the Regional Environmental Health Officers in water and food-borne related illness investigations and food recalls.

    Guides the regions in the monitoring of drinking water supplies.

    There is no list of Regional Environmental Health Officers online.
    Try contacting:
    Dr. Maureen Baikie, Deputy chief medical officer of health at 867-975-5743
    Janet Brewster
    Manager, Health Protection 867-975-5703

  • Alberta Drinking Water - Part 1

    Alberta's Regional Health Authorities have been regrouped under one provincial governance board called Alberta Health Services. Under the new structure, Alberta has been divided into five regional zones, South Zone, Calgary Zone, Central Zone, Edmonton Zone, and North Zone.

    You can reach the Public Helath Office for your zone at the following numbers:
    • South Zone (Lethbridge Office) 403-388-6689
    • Calgary Zone (Calgary Office) 403-943-2295
    • Central Zone (Red Deer Office) 780-513-7517
    • Edmonton Zone (Edmonton Office) 780-735-1800
    • North Zone (Grand Prairie office) 780-513-7517

    For more information or contact numbers in your zone, click here.

    Quebec Drinking Water - Part 1

    Waterworks Owner/Operators are responsible for delivering clean drinking water to their users. It is also up to them to advise the public of boil water advisories. An interactive database-driven directory of all waterworks, their water source, system number and who they distribute to is available online. Click here

    The Ministère de l'environnement, du développement durable et des parcs(MDDEP) is responsible for monitoring and regulating owner/operators, through its 9 regional offices. They also sned boil water advisories to the medical Officers and MDDEP head Office where they are posted online. Bas-Saint-Laurent et Gaspésie—Îles-de-la-Madeleine
    418 727-3511

    418 763-3301

    418 695-7883
    418 695-7897

    Capitale-Nationale et Chaudière-Appalaches
    418 644-8844

    418 386-8000

    Mauricie et Centre-du-Québec
    819 371-6581

    819 293-4122

    Estrie et Montérégie
    819 820-3882

    450 928-7607

    Montréal, Laval, Lanaudière et Laurentides
    514 873-3636
    450 661-2008

    450 654-4355

    450 433-2220

    819 772-3434

    Abitibi-Témiscamingue et Nord-du-Québec
    819 763-3333

    418 964-8888
    418 294-8888

    PEI Drinking Water - Part 1

    Drinking Water Management Contacts:
    George Somers
    Section Manager
    (902) 368-5046

    Alan Robison
    Senior Drinking Water Technologist
    (902) 368-5048

    Paul Baker
    Drinking Water Technician
    (902) 368-5062

    Karen E. White
    Drinking Water Technician
    (902) 838-0605

    Danny Cusack
    Drinking Water Technician
    (902) 569-0573

    Scott Gamble
    Drinking Water Technician
    (902) 853-0237

    Northwest Territories Drinking Water - Part 1

    Environmental Health Services
    Health and Social Services - Government of Northwest Territories - Box 1320, #102-5204, 50th Avenue, Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9
  • Yellowknife: (867) 669-8979
  • Inuvik: (867) 777-7250 / 777-7220
  • Hay River: (867) 874-7261 Fax: (867) 669-7517
  • Email:

  • North West Territories Water and Sanitation Division at (867) 920-6142
    Dr. Kami is the deputy Chief Medical Officer - 867-873-7721
    Duane Fleming - Chief Environmental Health Officer
  • Tel: 867-873-2183
  • E-mail:

    More News on main site


    All rights reserved. This material may not be reproduced in whole or in part and may not be distributed, publicly performed, proxy cached or otherwise used, except with express permission.