Environmental Petitions - Direct Line to Federal Government
ENVIRONMENTAL PETITTIONS - JANUARY 20TH, 1:30 EST
Join WaterToday for a two-hour virtual meeting with:
Jerry V. DeMarco, Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development
Pierre Champagne, Lawyer with Gowling WLG in Ottawa
- Office of the Auditor General for Canada, Environmental Petitions
- To reach the OAG’s petitions team: email@example.com
Public Meeting Link:
- Event number: 2633 730 0200
Dial-in numbers and local times
- Event password: 2jaTkwRSf33 (25285977 from phones)
- 2:30 pm Atlantic (call in Fredericton 506-406-4641 or Halifax 902-706-7113)
- 1:30 pm Eastern (call in Montreal 438-797-4001 or Ottawa 613-714-9906 or Toronto 647-484-1598)
- 12:30 pm Central (call in Winnipeg 204-515-1147, Saskatoon 306-808-2023 or Regina 306 271-1492)
- 11:30 am Mountain (call in Calgary 403-776-2521 or Edmonton 587-404-3573)
- 10:30 am Pacific (call in Vancouver 604-449-3026 or Victoria 250-900-4337)
- 3 pm in Newfoundland (call in St. Johns 709-722-5626)
- From your phone follow the prompts: event ID: 2633 730 0200, event password : 25285977
Note: Cisco Webex does not apply telephone charges to access these local toll numbers.
Media Availability Link:
- Event number:2630 407 8862
- Event password: seJnPbyt233 (73567298 from phones)
Canadian residents and organizations with environment and sustainable development concerns are guaranteed an official response on matters of federal government jurisdiction.
Environmental Petitions are received and administered by the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development on behalf of the Auditor General of Canada. The Auditor General Act ensures petitioners receive a written response from the appropriate federal Minister within 120 days.The Act further provides that Environmental Petitions are summarized and catalogued by the OAG and reported to Parliament annually.
The OAG currently receives little more than a dozen Environmental Petitions each year.
Public Event January 20: Interactive workshop on Environmental Petitions
Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development, Jerry V. DeMarco, presents how to submit an Environmental Petition.Pierre Champagne, a lawyer with Gowling WLG in Ottawa, will provide a legal perspective on how environmental petitions can be used for those seeking a remedy for environmental concerns outside of the courts.
A public question and answer session with Commissioner DeMarco and Mr. Champagne will be followed by a media availability with Commissioner DeMarco.
Any Canadian resident or organization is welcome to submit issues, questions and concerns on Environment and Sustainable Development subjects. Canada will officially respond to each petition in writing, as required under the Auditor General Act, and all petitions and responses are cataloged and reported to Parliament annually.
Learn how to use this powerful and effective tool of democracy.
The Commissioner's staff will assist you to forward your petition to the pertinent federal Ministries/Department (s) including but not limited to:
- Public Safety
- Health Canada
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Heritage Canada
- Parks Canada
- Indigenous Services Canada
- Northern Affairs
- Natural Resources Canada
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- Department of Defense
- Transport Canada
- Industry Canada
||Jerry V. DeMarco, Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development|
Pierre Champagne, Lawyer with Gowling WLG in Ottawa|